It has one street with a mixture of old houses and farms on both sides.
The village is recorded in the Domesday Book, but the building of the present dwellings came mainly when lead mining was enjoying a prosperous time in the locality.
Most of the stone built houses date from the 18th century, but not the pub.
This has led to the suggestion that this is where the term duck-boards originated!
(Tel 01629 583834) leased to the Peak District Mines Society, the surface remains are the best example in Britain of a 19th century lead mine with impressive mine buildings and winding gear. Footpaths approach it both from Sheldon and the Monyash to Ashford-in-the-Water road.
The three widows of the Red Soil miners reputedly put a curse on the mine and, supposedly, a ghost was seen there in 1946.
In 1842, there were two deaths at the Magpie Mine and during the next 50 years the mine was dogged by problems caused by flooding and fire.Tragically, in 1833, three Red Soil miners were suffocated to death by a fire lit by the Magpie miners.Following a year in prison and a lengthy court case at Derby Assizes, five Magpie miners were acquitted of the charge of murder owing to conflicting evidence and the lack of intent.The church, although small, is impressive with a particularly attractive timber ceiling.The Hartington Memorial Hall was presented to the inhabitants of the village in memory of William John Robert Cavendish, Marquess of Hartington, Major of Coldstream Guards who was killed in action on the 10 September 1944.The Parish Church of St Michael and All Angels at Sheldon was erected in the 19th century.