In the 18th century, a Royal Academy was established in one of the buildings attached to the Metropolitan Cathedral.The institution was closed down by the Ottomans after the Greek Revolution of 1821, but Gheorghe Asachi reopened it under the name of The Vasilian Gymnasium seven years later.
Deeply rooted in history, Iasi has been the main centre of Moldavian culture since 1408.
The city prides itself with publishing the first Romanian newspaper and establishing the first Romanian university. Over the past 500 years, history, culture and religious life have molded the city's unique character.
Original fragments of the frescoes are still preserved in the nearby Gothic Hall museum (Open: Tue.-Sun. Its façade was decorated with marble statues of mythological characters such as Diana and Apollo and it was said to be grander than all other mansions in Iasi.
The palace burned down in 1844 and was rebuilt by Nicolae Rosetti Rozvaneanu. Arcu 13 Built in 1815 by Alexandru Bals, this house became the venue of choice for theatre performances in Iasi.
In 1967, the painter Sabin Balasa created a series of strongly romanticized frescoes for the arcades. Pacurari 4 Located at the base of Copou Hill, this triangular building with Doric columns and cupola was built between 19 to serve as the headquarters of King Ferdinand's Cultural Foundation.
The building was decorated with Carrara marble and Venetian mosaics.
Address: Opposite to Copou Park Fans of quaint streets will enjoy this old residential quarter spread out over the hilly side of Iasi, with vine-choked houses and sleepy roads.
Stroll along the peaceful Dimitrie Ralet, Lascar Catargiu and Vasile Conta Streets to reach Piata Mihai Eminescu. Biserica The Banu Church (built in 1705; rebuilt in 1799) is an interesting example of urban architecture that combines baroc and classicism.
Today, this university is comprised of 26 colleges and eight research institutes of the Romanian Academy. Independentei 35 Commissioned by Ioan Cantacuzino between 17, the Old University Palace was badly damaged during a fire in 1795.
Later renovated and converted into a royal residence, it remained in royal use until 1806.
Many other important sites can be found on nearby streets. Free admission This remarkable construction (1906-1925), built in flamboyant neogothic style, stands partly on the ruins of a medieval royal court mentioned in documents dating from 1434. This "stone embroidery" is a mixture of western gothic, Renaissance and Oriental motifs.